Monday, September 24, 2007

Review: Superman Doomsday.


So, yesterday I watched Superman Doomsday, the animated movie adaptation of the graphic novel, Death of Superman, and as a long time superman fan, I personally am proud to say that it didn't totally suck.


While the voice acting of Adam Baldwin failed to amaze me, he wasn't the worst in the movie. The voice actress for Louis lane on the other hand totally sucked balls. And while most of the movie was incredibly cheesy, it retained the true epic value that makes Superman so wonderful.

The fight scenes were amazing, the story was pretty good, and Superman somehow always manages to save the day.

I couldn't help but notice how similar the story was to Dragonball Z's Buu saga. As Doomsday was hidden on earth by his own creator because he was too dangerous, he is finally set free thousands of years later and leaves a path of destruction wherever he goes. But who cares if the story is told before, that didn't change the fact that Doomsday totally crushed a guy's head in the palm of his frigg'n hand !!

I know there were changes from the original comic book, but they are understandable for time constraint purpose .. but still, the movie was a bit short at only 75 minutes.

Personally, I think this movie would have been much better off being live action. I would have much rather seen a live action version of Superman Doomsday than Superman Returns, which was good .. but strongly lacked in the story department. Honestly, by this day and age, I think we're all a bit sick of Lex Luthor waving Kryptonite in Superman's face then slapping him around. It's been done, time and time again.

All in all, I think Superman Doomsday was pretty damn good, not the best, but really not bad at all. It loses points in it's terrible voice acting, cheesyness, as well as in how short it was but makes up for most of it's cons with epic fight scenes.

I think I would have to give it ..

3 Stars out of 5

Link to the Official Trailer

0 comments:

Back to TOP